Ground Preparation for Sod
When getting ready to lay sod, you need to make sure that the ground is properly prepared. It is not necessary that you do all of these suggestions, but they could save you a lot of time and money in the long run.
- You will first want to go through and remove all the rocks and debris from your yard. You will also want to remove any weeds that are dead or alive.
- Check your soil type to figure out what different nutrients will need for your ground. This can be done by taking a sample of your soil to a local garden center. You can also ask people living in the same area if they know what their soil type is to get an idea of what your soil type is.
- In our area you will most likely want to have a sprinkler system installed. It will be hard to keep a lawn looking nice if you have to water the whole yard by hand.
- You will want the ground to be nice and smooth before you lay your sod. This can be done by using a leveling rake. Make sure that you level the ground one inch below all edges of sidewalks and curbs.
- Improve your soil by putting a light layer of compost over the area that is going to be sodded. You can also put starter fertilizer over the planting area to give the grass an extra jump.
- In order to incorporate your compost and fertilizer rake the ground with a landscape rake. Make sure you make a couple passes in order to mix it in well.
Now that you have gone through all the steps you are now ready to lay your sod. Contact us to place your order and schedule a delivery.